5 Healthy Snacks for Pinoy School Children
In the Philippines, parents are becoming more concerned about cheap and easy-to-purchase junk foods that are sold in cafeterias or by stores near schools. Children usually make the easy choice of picking the tastiest or sweetest snacks without realizing that these have little or zero nutritional value.
Here are five healthy snacks that your children can try – and will certainly like.
1. Tuna sandwich. A tuna sandwich packs anywhere between 10 to 20 grams of protein. Try using whole wheat bread and add a leaf of lettuce with light mayonnaise to make it healthier. Tuna also contains omega-3 fatty acids which will help maintain proper cholesterol levels and prevent heart and blood problems.
2. Yogurt. Yogurt is a tasty treat that provides children with vitamins and probiotics for better digestion. It contains just over 100 calories and also contains protein and calcium. Include a cup of yogurt with the sandwich to keep your child feeling full and prevent stomach pain and digestive problems.
3. Cheese. Cheese contains protein and calcium. You can make a sandwich and pair cheese with some chicken or fish to make it more nutritious. You can also pack some string cheese for your kid which is more fun to eat. Cheese contains 3 to 5 grams of protein per slice.
4. Fruit. There are several types of fruit that you can provide for your child such as a banana, apple, orange, papaya or a cup of mixed berries. These contain antioxidants, vitamin A and C as well as carbohydrates that will provide them with energy and keep them full for hours.
5. Cereal. Cereal can be placed in a container so all your kid has to do is add some milk. Try to look for cereals that contain a lot of fiber and minerals to keep your child strong and mentally prepared. There are also cereal bars that taste good and contain 150 to 200 calories.
Preparing these snacks will take you no more than 5 to 10 minutes. A healthy snack really isn’t so difficult to prepare. Be sure to add a bottle of water to keep your child hydrated all day long. Prepare the snacks with your child to make it a bonding activity.
Better yet, this healthy snack routine is best suited with healthy exercises to ensure sound development of body and avoid common body pains like back pains and other related ailments.