Eating is a necessity but cooking is an art. You must think that you know it all but when it comes to managing the kitchen and the neat tricks; there is always something more to know. In order to master the art of getting around your kitchen and saving your precious time, here are a few kitchen hacks that you will thank us for telling you!
- The rotting tomatoes: Prevent the tomatoes from rotting by not detaching them from the stem from which they were connected to the vine. Also prefer storing them at room temperature rather than in the fridge.
- The green to yellow bananas: Ripen your bananas using a paper bag. The concentrated ethylene gas when the fruit is in the bag helps it ripen faster.
- The inedible eggs: If the eggs have been sitting in there for a long time and you want to know if they’re still edible or not put them in a bowl of cold water. If they sink they’re good, if not, they need a dustbin.
- Skimming out the fat: Cut the calories by skimming a few ice cubes wrapped in a paper towel or cheese cloth along the surface of the liquid and see the fat turning into solid.
- Pitting the cherries: Place the cherries on the top of an empty beer bottle, one at a time and with a chopstick push the pit in the bottle.
- Fuss-free garlic peeling: Remove all cloves from the bulb, then whack each clove with the side of a chef’s knife. The skin will fall right off.
- Avocado peeling: Take an avocado and cut into 4 quarters length wise. The fruit will break right off from the pit. Now run a knife under the tip of the skin and peel it off.
- Get the juice out of citrus fruits: To get the most juice out of a lemon, refrigerate then microwave it for 15 to 20 seconds
- The tear inducing onions: Enough with the tears! Refrigerate the onions and use them to cook later. You could also put a slice of bread with a bit of it sticking out. It will absorb the irritant gas before it reaches the eyes.
- De-crystallizing honey: Place the honey container in a bowl of hot water for 5 to 10 minutes and viola!
- Perfect poached eggs: Use a metal mesh strainer to get rid of the excess egg white and get the perfect looking poached eggs that taste equally good.
- New life to leftovers: Reuse the leftover rice, pizza toppings and grilled chicken into meals like casseroles and frittatas.
- Fresh birthday cake for days: Save the cake from drying out by securing a slice of bread to the exposed portions with toothpicks. Bread holds in the cake moisture.
- Chill wines and cocktails without diluting: Pop a few frozen grapes in that fancy wine of yours and cool it down.
- De-crust a microwave: Soak a sponge in water, pop it in the microwave, and let it cruise around the turntable for a minute.
Bet you didn’t know them before!