Chicken lasagna is one of those dishes I love to serve visitors during special occasions, or simply treating everyone at home for a slight change in menu for merienda. It takes a bit longer to prepare than a typical lasagna recipe because of the chicken ingredient. To save time without compromising much on results, I sometimes use minced chicken and follow the normal lasagna cooking procedure.
- 8-10 lasagna sheets, cooked
- 2 cups chicken meat, cooked and diced
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp basil
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 ¼ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup ricotta cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- parmesan cheese to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onions in butter until they look transparent.
- Mix together basil, oregano, mushrooms, salt and pepper.
- Run the tomatoes on a blender, then add to the vegetables.
- Add the chicken and let it cook on low heat.
- In another saucepan, melt the butter and add the flour, stir until the combination becomes smooth.
- Pour in the broth and stir continuously until thick. Switch to low heat.
- In a greased baking pan, spread some of the cream sauce on the base and cover with a layer of lasagna.
- Layer with the meat sauce, cream sauce, and ricotta and mozzarella cheeses.
- Keep adding layers until sauce runs out. Top with parmesan and bake for about 25 minutes at 350F.