Banana cue is made from a type of banana called “saba”. It is a popular snack food in the Philippines. It is also usually skewered in bamboo stick and commonly sold on the street.
This is deep fried bananas coated in caramelized brown sugar.
- 6 ripe firm saba bananas, or ripe plantains
- 2 cups of cooking oil ( Vegetable oil or olive oil)
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- bamboo bbq sticks ( small skewers)
- Peel your bananas, cut diagonally into 2-3 pieces each.
- Pour in a generous amount of oil in the pan (it depends on the size of your frying pan) . Once the oil becomes very very hot, put gently all your bananas and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and cook, stirring constantly for about 3-4 minutes or until sugar has caramelized and bananas are evenly coated.
- Put the banana in the skewer ( bigger one then follow the small one). And serve immediately while still warm and crunchy.
Don’t burn the caramelized brown sugar or else you have a bitter coated babana cue.