Pinaypay na Saging
Blessed with abundance of bananas, Filipinos are also spoiled into creating variations of banana as afternoon desserts commonly found as street food. Just like the equally ubiquitous banana cue, pinaypay na saging is a one favorite dessert serving.
Very few ingredients are needed and no elaborate cooking expertise is required for those who wish to try this at home. One just have to learn how to form sliced bananas into hand fan, which the name pinaypay na saging derives its name from.
- 6 pcs banana (saba variety)
- white sugar
- 2 cups of cooking oil
- 1/2 cup of flour
- Mix flour with appropriate amount of water. Whisk with pinch of achuete then set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan and should be in a medium heat.
- Peel the banana’s and slice it into a hand fan shape.
- Put sliced banana in the mixture and coat it evenly.
- If the the cooking oil is ready, slowly add the banana mixture and let it fry.
- Sprinkle it with white sugar.
- Do not overcook the banana or else it can leave a bitter taste.
- Do not throw the remaining oil. Keep it and use it for other way of cooking.
- Drain the excess oil or you can use a paper towel