Creamy Maja Blanca
Because the Philippines have abundance in coconut, this ingredient has become quite a common fixture in some of our dishes. Ginaatan for example, is a collection of menu with the like of ginataang langka, ginataang gulay, ginaatang monggo, at many more. For desserts it is also quite a common ingredient for bilo bilo, suman, cuchinta, palitaw and more. Today I will share my recipe for maja blanca, a common dessert I bring to social gatherings.
Alternative Ingredients 1:
- 2 tin big coconut milk
- 1 pack sweet creamy corn
- 1/2 tin granulated sugar (adjustable)
- 1/2 tin cornstarch
- cheese (optional)
Alternative Ingredients 2:
- 2 big tin coconut milk and 1 small pack
- 1 pack or tin sweet creamy corn
- 1 big tin evaporated milk
- 1/2 can of sugar (use the coconut milk can for perfect measurement)
- 1 can cornstarch
- 1/2 can of fresh milk or water
- Some cheese
- In a pot, mix coconut milk, evaporated milk, sugar, corn starch, fresh milk or water, and sweet creamy corn. Boil over slow heat, stirring constantly to prevent lumps, until mixture is clear for about 4-5 minutes.
- Turn to a medium heat but don’t stop stirring add some small cubes cheese until it melts a little bit.
- Turn off the fire and pour hot mixture into prepared dish and allow to set. Let it cool before slicing.